Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Letters to Simi: Episode 4 by @kbaronn

The face my eyeballs collided with, just after I turned,shone brighter than the rays of the sun even in that enclosed rendevous. She was the same girl, whose sight had stunned me earlier and dropped me into the endless pit of thrills. Lost in trance,in a world of my own fantasizing about what good sight God had blessed me with, and suddenly came a voice that found me and placed me back on the stage called reality. She spoke almost effortlessly, as her lips slightly move apart, and yet I could hear her as loud as the piercing sound of a trumpeter whom just got perfect in his art,and is eager to showcase his abilities to a waiting audience.


"Please,can you excuse me for a few seconds so I would pass through?, I have my name imprinted on the sit next to yours". I couldn't concur, neither could I disagree. I tried hard, but no word seem to pop out of my mouth,which was wide open as I stood there aghast. I made way for her to pass through and sit on her sit, while I motioned to sit on mine. I had almost forgotten that I was there to write an exam that I cannot and must not fail. My life depends on it,my future and that of my family and generations yet unborn depended on it. So I struggled to get my focus back to the issue on ground,the exams. I tried hard to expunge thoughts about someone sitting next to me ,difficult. The invigilator of the exams uttered "start", and so the examination began. Time passed,and I wrote and wrote,poured down all I had in my head. In the heat of the exercise,me trying to beat time and at the same moment push out the irritating voice of the invigilator screaming "five minutes more" out of my head,I heard a tap on my desk. In was done so perfectly,that it did not sound to loud,but was loud enough for me to hear. I knew the direction via which the hand that made the tap came from, but I tried to disbelief myself. It came from her,yes! Her sitting close to me,right next to me. Am I dreaming? Why would she tap my desk? What did she want? Question ran through my head, and while I was still quizzing my thought,the tap came again. This time, I saw the hand make the tap, so my thoughts were now confirmed, they weren't speculations anymore. I swerved my head to the left in response to her call,initiated by the tap,so my eyeballs caught hers. Hers were pure, angelic, innocent, her face was molded beautifully, perfectly, I tried hard, but could not see a defect in this flawless creature. She then whispered to me,asking if I knew what the answer to a certain question was. I almost jumped out of my mouth, she had barely finished asking the question before I uttered the answer stipulatingly fast. It was like a dream come true, God indeed answers prayers. She smiled quite warmly, turned her face back facing her work and continued,while I continued my work too,stealing glances at her once in a while. The exercise finally came to an end, I stood up,walked to the front to hand my sheet to the invigilator, coming back to my sit I was stunned,could not find her there again. Then a thought dropped into my heart,"she probably went to submit hers too",so I turned back in a bid to set my eyes on her,she was no where to be found. I almost went crazy,I had schemed how I would approach, things I would say to her,things I wanted to know about her,atleast I needed a thought about her to accompany all through the long journey back home,a good memory to take home along,a memory to keep me going, rock me to bed,and console me till I see her again,which may never be possible, only if fate destines it. What ached my heart indepthly was the fact that I never even got the chance to know her name. As I walked to the doorway of the venue, going out to search for the principal, the thought of her still lingered in my heart. My eyes wandered around, piercing through the minute crowd outside looking for the principal,and then suddenly, I felt something drop into my pocket. I barely felt the hand that dropped it, but I percieved that something was inserted into the pocket of my trouser. I immediately looked around, could not see anybody specific with a suspicious looking face or walking pattern to suggest that he or she just perpetrated an act without the consent of the subject. I dipped my hand into my pocket, drew what was dropped in it,it was a piece of paper. I contemplated if I should open it or not, if I did not I would not know what was written inside good or bad,and if I did I just might find the news somewhat sad. I was curious, so I unlocked the intertwined lips of the paper,and read " my name is Simi". I was confused, the feeling of confusion came in a simple and subtle way,quite unforced,maybe because lately I was often either sad or confused. I raised my head up to search the decreasing crowd again,maybe this time around I might be lucky to see her,for now I know exactly who my eyes are after.
Suddenly, at an angle deep into the perspective of my eyes,I saw her,I finally saw her,but she was far away,about to enter the same car that brought her some hours ago. I wish she could just turn and see me,I wish she would just somehow, deep in her heart know that someone is staring behind her,with all the strenght embedded in his eyes fixed on her. And promptly,she turned like she read my heart,her eyes caught mine and she smiled and got into the car. I was happy, she smiled back, thank God, she did smile back. Now I could rest atleast, so with much joy I searched for the principal and finally saw him. He saw me smile quite excessively, and he probably thought I was that happy due to what I had written in the exercise,only if he knew why I smiled. We boarded a car and were on our way backhome. We were told at the verification venue that our result was going to be out in a month time,only if I knew that what comes along with that result was goin to change my life completely,and this time more vividly.

No comments:

Post a Comment