Saturday, November 23, 2013

Discerning the Difference Between Metrosexuals and Homosexuals by Emmy Collins

This post was written, edited and ready to be posted last week but then the little naughty girl decided to run amok on twitter slandering my name. As a result of her childish banters and kindergarten squabbles, I decided to pull it down as I didn`t want to be seen to be responding to an individual who was so childish that she posted her sister`s shopping receipts on the internet. I couldn`t help but wonder what she was hoping to achieve by that act of mgbeke-ism. If this girl were to be my sister,I would have shut her down immediately and then demanded for a DNA test to ascertain that she is indeed my biological sister but hey,that is me. Anyway, my decision not to post this article had to be rescinded after reading a tweet from some idiot who alleged that Inyanya could be gay. It then occurred to me that I couldn`t afford to let little people with little myopic minds prevent me from posting articles as I wish on this blog because if I let that occur then that means they have achieved their original purpose.

I must say Inyaya`s response of "your father gay" was hilarious. Kai, we brew drama in Nigeria, don`t we? It is my utmost belief that if drama were to be some form of natural resources, Nigeria would rank amongst the top 5 exporters in the world.

Anyway,please find below the article as was originally written.

 
It has been my intention for the longest time now to do a piece on this subject but each time I commence on it, something tells me to let it slide and I usually listen to that inner voice. However, a recent conversation that transpired between me, a certain OAP and someone that will be referred to as Mr anonymous inspired me to write this article. Deep Down, I have always known that writing this piece was inevitable; as such it was more a question of "when" rather than"if". As a result, I am chuffed to realise that I am finally about to get it out of the way.

Now, here goes the gist.I had a meeting with this OAP and I must confess that I was looking forward more to meeting with her than perhaps vice versa. What fuelled my excitement was the impression I had of this particular OAP. I had an inkling of her being one of the most original people in Nigeria today and need I say I wasn't wrong. I don`t bump into authentic individuals very often in Lagos so whenever I bump into one, I hold on tightly to them.

Anyway, we were chilling and chatting away like we had known each other since kindergarten and this great chap whom she had been acquainted with but hadn`t seen for awhile walked in. They were apparently very delighted to have run into each other. Well, for a moment my presence was forgotten(hahaha,just kidding) while pleasantries were been exchanged and then suddenly I overheard this chap say "you don`t wanna hear what rumours have been out there about me".The rumour as I understood it as the conversation continued was that this chap was gay. Being that the OAP knew this chap very well,she couldn`t quit laughing. She jokingly offered to go out on radio and tell everyone who cares to listen that if Mr Anonymous was gay then Fela Anikulapo Kuti must have been gay even with his 27 wives.

The question isn`t whether Mr Anonymous is gay or not as I am not bothered about that one bit. I`m however bothered about the fact that an idiot will have just one look at someone and ignorantly reach the daft conclusion that he is gay simply because he is not constantly seen hanging around with girls regardless of the quality of the girls. Sometimes, the misconstrued conclusion arises when a metrosexual who places strong emphasis on his appearance or lifestyle is mistaken for a gay man simply because he has put a lot of credence into fashion trends. The fact that he wears red or other neon coloured trousers doesn't make him gay neither does the fact that he exfoliates/moisturizes his face, gets a pedicure or manicure or stylish haircuts. It simply means he is a young man with some money to spend and living his life the way he pleases whilst taking meticulous care to manage his body or that he is simply meticulous about his outward appearances and invests whatever resources that is available to him on his looks. Yes, these may be attributes stereotypically related to gay men, but they do not necessarily imply that such an individual is gay.As a matter of fact he may still find the thought of actually getting intimate with another man truly repulsive. Some even call you gay simply because you are not married. Now,I ask,how stupid is it for someone to arrive at such a narrow minded conclusion based on the reasons I just mentioned? And oh,you could also be tagged gay if some raggedy chic was all over you like white on rice and you sort of decided she was so raggedy that you WOULDN`T even touch her with someone else`s peanuts if you could borrow one.This is becoming a sad mental trend and people are hopping on it. We need to be more open-minded people.If you are a nice looking single chap and have not been tagged as gay yet,don`t start rejoicing yet as this could happen to you any time,lolll.Well,I reckon you ain`t doing anything right until you have been tagged gay in this city of Lagos.Even Banky W has had a taste of so if it`s happening to you at the moment,I advise you to accept if as a phase that will soon go away.Jobless and inconsequential folks must find something to occupy themselves nah,abi?

Recently, I read an interview about a young man,IK Ogbonna.In that interview you can ascertain that this guy was hurt because he had been erroneously tagged as gay. As far as I am concerned if IK is gay then I`m mother Theresa. Even when Uti Nwachukwu was pictured with a girl in South Africa some claimed that he was just a gay man putting up a show to cover his tracks.I don`t give a toss whether Uti, Ogbonna, Mr Anonymous or whoever is gay,what I give a toss about is how some individuals treat these types of people. If you respect my space and understand that I don`t roll like that, we will be cool.I`m part of an industry where I run into gays daily and never,repeat,never have I had issues with them.A person's sexuality does not affect the amount of love or hate they get from me,their character determines that.The last time I checked Elton John is gay but does more wonderful Charity work across the globe than all our congress men who recently promulgated anti-gay laws and neglected more sensible ideas such as creating a special court to try corrupt government officials. I knew that was a diversionary tactic right from the onset. Nigeria make we open our eyes well well o.

When a certain blogger insinuated that I was gay in her trashy blog,I couldn`t quit laughing but had to respond without mentioning the blogger by name because the lady who forwarded the link to me was so DISTURBED about it that she literally begged me to dispel the rumour. Basically, I wrote an article to dispel that rumour simply because of this lady. Sometimes I wonder where these rumours emanate from.I mean is there a picture somewhere that I don't know of or a video of some sort,lol?In my case,I googled the blogger and when I saw her/his picture lol,I wondered if the lady was towing the line of Mark Foley a republican congress man in American who was so anti-gay that he made other republicans seem liberal.Republican congress men who are anti-gay is nothing new.What was new and utterly ironic was that, wait for it… Foley himself was gay and was forced to resign from his position when allegations surfaced that he sent sexually explicit messages to under-age male interns at his office,OOPSYYYYY.

Culled from Diary By Emmy.







No comments:

Post a Comment