Saturday, February 16, 2013

Bush House's DIY Valentine Show Review

Twas with high hopes I arrived for the DIY show...probably because Euphoria restored a little of my faith back in Zaria shows. Dunno if its a curse or what, but shows never seem to start on time in this Zaria. I came fashionably late, around 7:15pm for a show slated for 6pm; yet the show didn't start till almost 8.30pm.

Well, while the show wasn't ready and I was already inside the 'happening' area of the school, I decided to visit that Aiming @ Zero show happening free at the Basketball Court. The energy, the fun, the music and the crowd were intoxicating but alas, I had to return to the DIY.

The show was reasonably okay with performances from Dhapor, Ice-Blue & Yohanna (DIY), Oche.com and a host of other artistes. No performance was actually boring, even though the crowd were so dull, and the energy & excitement levels dismal.

The highlight of the show were the group and single performances by the DIY (I call them the Do It Yourself crew *covering face*) crew. Their performances were simply on point and had the crowd going 'gaga'. They deserved the standing ovations they got. In fact, I believe they're are too good for Zaria.

The lady beside me remarked to her friend how boring the MCs were..
Don't really know why Ujams was used as an MC. His being in Gulder Ultimate Search doesn't for a second, make him a host or presenter. He went off rail at a point and started educating us on what I think was...Sociology? His presence actually made Topsy, who I feel isn't also that good a presenter, worse; and conversations between them seemed long and *yawn* boring.

The turnout was reasonable especially with the fact that what I consider a better show was happening at basketball court simultaneously.

ABU students were reasonably dressed, and the fashion was generally mediocre at best. Saw some fashion blunders; one girl wore a huge purple scrunchie (that's the only name I know), then one boy wore one huge hunting boots.

Apart for one boy that was busy 'heckling' the performances and generally being a nuisance, the show went without a hitch. I left before the show ended (a few others did the same), so that tell you a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment